Saturday, October 7, 2017

matrices - Non-negative determinant of a block matrix



Here's the problem I've been stuck on for some time now.




Let $A,B \in M_n(\mathbb{R})$. Let $C=
\begin{bmatrix}
A & B \\

-B & A \\
\end{bmatrix}
$ be a real $2n \times 2n$ matrix. Prove $\det(C) \geq 0$.




What I've tried so far are:




  1. First I tried to write determinant of $C$ as the sum of $2^{2n}$ matrix determinants by expanding all rows of $C$ such that for each binary sequence of length $2n$ like $a = (a_1, a_2, ..., a_{2n})$, if $a_i = 0$ then the first $n$ entries of $i$-th row are zero and if $a_i = 1$ then the second $n$ entries of $i$-th row are zero. But couldn't come close to any answer.

  2. Second we know that determinant is the product of eigenvalues. The characteristic polynomial of $C$ has real coefficients hence its complex roots come in conjugate pairs and have positive product. What remains is to prove that each negative eigenvalue has even multiplicity which I couldn't prove.




Any sort of hints and/or ideas are appreciated.


Answer



Hint. Start with $$\det{\begin{bmatrix}A & B \\-B & A\end{bmatrix}}=\det{\begin{bmatrix}A-iB& B+iA \\-B & A\end{bmatrix}}.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...