Friday, October 13, 2017

calculus - Evaluate $lim_{xtoinfty} (1+frac{2}{x})^{5x}$ without L'Hopital



I'm trying to evaluate the following limit



$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{2}{x}\right)^{5x}$$



I recognize a part of this limit because it resembles the limit for $e$ but I don't know anything other than that. I have no idea where to start. Some hints would be much appreciated.




Thanks!


Answer



Write $y = \frac{x}{2}$. Then we want $\displaystyle \lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{10y}$. Since the function $g(z) = z^{10}$ is continuous, this is $$\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}g\left(\left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{y}\right) = g\left(\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^{y}\right) = \left(\lim_{y\rightarrow\infty}\left(1+\frac{1}{y}\right)^y\right)^{10} = e^{10}.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...