Sunday, October 8, 2017

limits - Prove that a second degree polynomial always has an extremum

This is one of those questions that I know intuitively, but find it hard to prove mathematically.




Problem



The idea is to try and prove that a second degree polynomial function, $f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c$, always has an extremum.



My thoughts



My thought is to try an explain that given $a > 0$, then $\lim\limits_{x\to\pm\infty}f(x) \to \infty$, so if a non-infinite value exists, it must have a bottom point between the extremes.



Likewise for $a<0$ but with a top point between two $-\infty$ extremes.




But I can't see how to prove this rigorously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...