Tuesday, October 3, 2017

linear algebra - What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors really?


I know how to determine the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a given matrix $A$, but we were not really explained to what exactly ARE eigenvalues and eigenvectors, what is their purpose and what exactly do/can they tell us about a matrix/system?


Can someone please provide me with some information about this? It will be much appreciated.


Answer



If $A$ is an $n \times n$ matrix, the nonzero $n$-component column vector $x$ is an eigenvector for eigenvalue $\lambda$ if $A x = \lambda x$.


See e.g. Wikipedia which discusses many of the uses of these.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...