Tuesday, August 2, 2016

integration - Integrals $int_{1}^{2} frac{mathrm dx}{log x}$ and $int_{0}^{+infty} left| frac{sin x}{x} right| mathrm dx$


I want to find out if the following integrals converge and if possible, find their values.


$$(a) \int_{1}^{2} \frac{\mathrm dx}{\log x}$$


$$(b) \int_{0}^{+\infty} \left| \frac{\sin x}{x} \right| \mathrm dx$$


For $(a)$ I have $$\int_{1}^{2} \frac{1}{\log x}\mathrm dx = \operatorname{li}\left(x\right) + C$$ which is the logarithmic integral function.


An online function calculator gave me the antiderivative $-\operatorname{\Gamma}\left(0,-\ln\left(x\right)\right)$ and apparently it diverges. I don't understand what is meant with this antiderivative here: How does one get that, and why can the value of this integral not be calculated?


Regarding $(b)$ I used an online calculator as well, which gave me


$$\int_{0}^{+\infty} \left| \frac{\sin x}{x} \right| \mathrm dx= -\dfrac{\mathrm{i}\operatorname{\Gamma}\left(0,\mathrm{i}x\right)-\mathrm{i}\operatorname{\Gamma}\left(0,-\mathrm{i}x\right)}{2}$$ and the value ${\pi}/{2}$, but again I don't know if that is correct and how to get that antiderivative.


Can somebody maybe explain that?


Answer




For the first integral, make the substitution $x\mapsto e^x$ and observe that it becomes $$\int_0^{\ln(2)} \frac{e^x}{x}dx$$ You may use the fact that $\int_0^1 dx/x$ diverges to prove the divergence of this integral.


As for the second integral: express it as a sum $$\int_0^\infty \bigg|\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\bigg|dx=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \int_{\pi n}^{\pi (n+1)}\bigg|\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\bigg|dx$$ Then notice that $$\int_{\pi n}^{\pi (n+1)}\bigg|\frac{\sin(x)}{x}\bigg|dx\gt \int_{\pi n}^{\pi (n+1)}\bigg|\frac{\sin(x)}{\pi(n+1)}\bigg|dx=\frac{2}{\pi}\frac{1}{n+1}$$ and use the divergence of the harmonic series and the comparison test to finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...