Wednesday, August 17, 2016

matrices - Check the determinant of a matrix given a parameter





  • How do I calculate the determinant of the following matrix?

  • And for which values of m is the determinant non null?



\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1 & 1 \\
2 & m & 3 \\
4 & m^2 & 9

\end{bmatrix}

I have tried the




co-factoring method




and what I got was m(m+1) + 6
I'm trying to figure what would be the right way to do this?


Answer




In general, you can calculate the determinant of any 3x3 matrix with the method described in the introductory section of the corresponding wikipedia article.



After you have successfully calculated the determinant (-m^2 + 5 m - 6), determine the zeros of this quadratic equation depending on m. Except for these two values of m the determinant will be non-zero.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...