Saturday, August 20, 2016

calculus - Evaluating $int _0^{pi }int _0^xsqrt{1-x^2}:dydx$



Evaluate:

$\int _0^{\pi }\int _0^x\sqrt{1-x^2}\:dydx$



I've gotten it done to:



$\int _0^{\pi }x\sqrt{1-x^2}dx$



Should I now change to polar coordinates because of the pi, or how should I proceed?


Answer



I think you made a typo, the upper limit of the integral looks more like $1$ instead of $\pi$ (otherwise the square root is not well defined), I will give my answer based on this correction.







Try to make the change of variable $x = \sin \theta$, the $dx = \cos\theta d\theta$, and the integral becomes
\begin{align}
& \int_0^1 x\sqrt{1 - x^2} dx \\
= & \int_0^{\pi/2} \sin\theta \cos \theta \cos\theta d\theta \\
= & -\int_0^{\pi/2} \cos^2(\theta) d(\cos\theta) \\
= & -\left.\frac{1}{3}\cos^3(\theta)\right|_0^{\pi/2} \\
= & \frac{1}{3}.
\end{align}



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...