Wednesday, August 24, 2016

sequences and series - Show that $sum^limits{infty}_{n=1}frac{n-sqrt n}{n^{2}+5n}$ diverges


Show that $$\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{n-\sqrt n}{n^{2}+5n} \ \text{ diverges.}$$


I have tried Root test, Ratio Test, Cauchy condensation Test but all have failed. I think this has to be done by Comparison Test or Limit Comparison Test. But what is the suitable form it has to be reduced to?


Answer




Note that $$\dfrac{n-\sqrt{n}}{n^2+5n} \sim \dfrac1n$$ Conclude using limit comparison test.



EDIT Updated on the request of OP


$$\dfrac{n-\sqrt{n}}{n^2+5n} = \dfrac{1-1/\sqrt{n}}{n+5} = \dfrac1n \underbrace{\left(\dfrac{1-1/\sqrt{n}}{1+5/n}\right)}_{\to 1 \text{ as } n \to \infty}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...