Tuesday, August 9, 2016

calculus - limit to prove exponential definition for all values of z



In order to prove that the relation $\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}(1+\frac{z}{n})^n=\exp(z)$ holds for all values of z, I first prove it for positive z by showing the lower and upper bound as taylor series for $exp(z)$. To extend the proof of this relation to hold for negative z, I need to prove $\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} (1-\frac{z^2}{n^2})^n =1$, I use the binomial expansion of the series and write it down $\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{z^{2k}}{n^{2k}}\frac{{n}{!}}{{n-k}{!}{k}{!}}$ and further expand the combinatorial term. How do I prove that the limit of this is 1 ?


Answer



Here is an approach.




$$ e^{{n}\ln(1-z^2/n^2)} = e^{{n}(-z^2/n^2+O(z^4/n^4))} \longrightarrow_{n\to \infty} 1 . $$





We used the Taylor series




$$\ln(1-t) = -t+O(t^2) .$$



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...