Friday, August 26, 2016

complex numbers - Why Can my Phone Calculator do $e^{pisqrt{-1}}$ but not $sqrt{-1}$?


When I type in the identity $e^{\pi\sqrt{-1}}$ on my phone calculator (LG phone running Android), I get the correct result of $-1$


However, when I simply type $\sqrt{-1}$, it returns an error.


Why can the calculator do $e^{\pi\sqrt{-1}}$, but not do $\sqrt{-1}$ if $\sqrt{-1}$ is a direct part of $e^{\pi\sqrt{-1}}$?


Answer



$e^{\pi\sqrt{-1}}=\cos \pi + \sqrt{-1}\sin \pi=-1+0=-1$ which is a real number


BUT


$\sqrt{-1}=i$ is a complex number with a zero real part and a non-zero imaginary part.



Computation of complex numbers is possible in any calculator but showing the results containing imaginary numbers is not possible except in certain high-grade calculators.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...