Thursday, May 9, 2019

real analysis - Arithmetic mean sequence




If the ssequence of $a_n$ goes to infinity as $n$ goes to infinity, then does $$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{a_1 + \dots + a_n}{n} = \infty?$$



I know this sequence converges to a finite value if the sequence $a_n$ converges to a finite value, but I don't know if that helps. I've tried using the definition a sequence converging to infinity, I've also tried using the convergence of $\frac{1}{a_n}$ to $0$ to show $\frac{n}{a_1 + \dots + a_n}$ converges to $0$, but no luck. Do I utilize the arithmetic mean inequality? Any hints are more than welcome (only hints please!).


Answer



Indeed,



THEOREM If the limit of $a_n$ goes to infinity as $n$ goes to infinity, then $$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{a_1 + \dots + a_n}{n} = \infty$$



PROOF Let $\ C>0.\ $ There exists natural $\ N_C\ $ such that

$\ a_k>2\cdot C\ $ for every $\ k>N_C.\ $ Let



$$ B_C\ :=\ \sum_{n=1}^{N_C}\ a_n $$
and let natural $\ m_C\ $ satisfy



$$ m_C\ >\ N_C-\frac {B_C}C $$



so that
$$ B_C+2\cdot C\cdot m_C\ >\ (N_C+m_C)\cdot C $$




Now, let $\ n>N_C+m_C.\ $ Then



$$ \frac{a_1 + \dots + a_n}n\,\ >
\,\ \frac{B_C\ +\ 2\cdot C\cdot m_C\ +\ \sum_{k=N_C+m_C+1}^n a_k}n $$



$$ >\,\ \frac{(N_C+m_C)\cdot C\,\ +\,\ (n-(N_C+m_C))\cdot2\cdot C}n
\,\ >\,\ C $$



Since $\ C>0\ $ is arbitrary, the theorem holds.   Great!


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...