Wednesday, May 15, 2019

integration - Where am I going Wrong in this Polar Coordinate Conversion?



Solve the following double integral by converting to polar coordinates first:



$\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{\sqrt{4-x^2}}(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}dydx$



My attempt at a solution:




$\int\int_{R}dydx$(Cartesian) = $\int\int_{R}rdrd\theta$(Polar)



$x=rcos\theta, y=rsin\theta$



$y=\sqrt{4-x^2} $ ---> $x^2 + y^2 = 4 $ ∴ $\int_{r=0}^{2}$



Because we can only use the top half of the circle, $\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi}$



Therefore, the overall integral I arrive at is:




$\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2}(r^2)^{3/2}rdrd\theta$,



Which simplifies down to:



$\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{2}r^4drd\theta$



Solving this, I get an answer of $\frac{32\pi}{5}$. The answer in the book, however, is $\frac{16\pi}{5}$. What am I doing wrong? Where am I ending up with an answer twice as big as it should be?


Answer



You should only be using the upper left quadrant of the circle. $x$ ranges from $0$ to $2$; to get the full top half, it would need to range from $-2$ to $2$. I find it usually helps to draw the full region before starting any coordinate transforms.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...