Wednesday, May 8, 2019

abstract algebra - Degree of splitting field extensions

The problem states:




Let $f (x) = x^3+px+q$ be an irreducible cubic polynomial with rational coefficients
and let $K$ be the splitting field of $ f(x) $ over $\mathbb{Q}$. Prove that $ [K : \mathbb{Q}] = 3 $ if and only if $ -4p^3 - 27q^2 $ is a square in $\mathbb{Q}$.




Here is how far I've come on the problem. Since $f$ is cubic and the degree of the extension is $3$, then non of the roots are in $\mathbb{Q}$ hence they are in $K$. Now, I am having trouble connecting this piece of information with the given value being a square in $\mathbb{Q}$.



Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...