Tuesday, May 14, 2019

probability - Expected number of rolls to get all 6 numbers of a die




I've been thinking about this for a while but don't know how to go about obtaining the answer. Find the expectation of the times of rolls if u want to get all 6 numbers when rolling a 6 sided die.




Thanks


Answer



Intuitively



You first roll a die. You get some value. Now, the probability of getting a different value on the next one is $\frac{5}{6}$ . Hence the expected value for different values in two rolls is $\frac{6}{5}$. You continue this and get



$\frac{6}{6} + \frac{6}{5} + \frac{6}{4} + \frac{6}{3} + \frac{6}{2} + \frac{6}{1} = \color{blue}{14.7}$ rolls


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...