Monday, December 2, 2019

logic - Why is this proof wrong?


I am taking a course on logical equations and I found this exercise while reading about proofs and how to prove a given sentence and what kind of mistakes usually occur when you are trying to prove something specific. Here is a problem:




You are asked to find the mistake in the following proofs. Each proof is given for the following statement: Prove that the sum of any two rational numbers is a rational number itself.



On the same exercise there is the following proof for the statement:



Two rational numbers sum up into a rational number when added. So if R and S are rational numbers then R+S is a rational number too. This completes the proof.



I know this proof is not correct because it is based on a fallacy of presumption.


However with this one:




Proof: We assume we have the rational numbers 1/4 and 1/2. The sum of 1/2+1/4 is 3/4 which is a rational number. This completes the proof.



I also know it's not a legit proof, I just can't figure out why.


Answer



It uses a hasty generalization, a fallacy that looks like this: $$\exists x \exists yPxy\to\forall x\forall yPxy,$$ which is not valid.


Let $Pxy$ be "$x+y$ is a rational number".


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...