Tuesday, December 31, 2019

algebra precalculus - A cubed trigonometric identity?

Could somebody please show why the following is a trigonometric identity?



$$\dfrac{\sin^3 a - \cos^3a}{\sin a - \cos a} = 1 + \sin a \cos a$$



This problem appears on page $48$ of Gelfand's and Saul's "Trigonometry". (It's not homework.)




It is probably the fact that we are dealing with trig ratios cubed that is throwing me off.



A question with squared trig ratios usually gives me no troubles.



I keep running into a mess. For example: I've multiplied the numerator and denominator by $\sin a + \cos a$ with no luck; and likewise, by $\sin a - \cos a$.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...