Thursday, December 26, 2019

Integer+fraction vs Top-heavy fraction



What is the name of a fraction like this:




$$\frac{22}{7}$$



as opposed to one like this:



$$3\frac{1}{7}$$



I've never actually had to describe this until today. Not only have I no idea how to describe the top-heavy fraction or the one with a whole number, I also don't even know what the process of changing from the former to the latter is called. Is it merely "simplifying"...? I have a feeling there must be a more technical name, because it's math and there always is.



Caveat: This is a very simple question, so much so that I feel sure it must be a duplicate. I did try to search but I was unable to come up with a succinct expression to describe what I am looking for (as evidenced by the fairly lame title of this question) and so the search came up empty.



Answer



The former is generally called an "improper fraction," the latter a "mixed number."


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...