Friday, December 9, 2016

trigonometry - Euler's formula simplification



I have been trying to simplify this expression:



$$\cos (\theta) - \frac{1}{\cos (\theta) + i \sin(\theta)}$$



into:




$$\ i \sin(\theta).$$



However I can't find what steps to take to get to this simplification.



Euler's formula states:



$$\ e^{i\theta}= \cos (\theta) + i \sin(\theta) $$



It is linked to this formula however I am not sure how to go about this.



Answer



$$cos(\theta)-\frac{1}{\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}=cos(\theta)-\frac{1}{e^{i\theta}}=$$
$$cos(\theta)-e^{-i\theta}=\frac{1}{2}e^{i\theta}+\frac{1}{2}e^{-i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}=$$
$$=\frac{1}{2}e^{i\theta}-\frac{1}{2}e^{-i\theta}=i\Big(\frac{1}{2i}e^{i\theta}-\frac{1}{2i}e^{-i\theta}\Big)=i\sin(\theta)$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...