Saturday, December 31, 2016

algebra precalculus - Given roots (real and complex), find the polynomial



This is not a duplicate of theory of equations finding roots from given polynomial.



Given that the roots (both real and complex) of a polynomial are $\frac{2}{3}$, $-1$, $3+\sqrt2i$, and $3+\sqrt2i$, find the polynomial. All coefficients of the polynomial are real integer values.




What I have so far: $$(3x-2)(x+1)(x-\sqrt2\times i)=0$$ If I were solving other similar problems with two complex roots, I would probably be able to cancel them out, but I'm confused about how to do the $(x-\sqrt2i)$ part. Is this actually two complex roots that meet? Also, what degree is this polynomial? I would like an algebraic explanation please.


Answer



The conjugate factor theorem states that for a polynomial $p(x)$ with real coefficients, the complex roots come in conjugate pairs, or if $a+bi$ is a root, then $a-bi$ is also a root. From this we see that your polynomial has the roots $$\frac{2}{3}, -1, 3+\sqrt{2}i, 3-\sqrt{2}i.$$ Therefore, $$(x-\frac{2}{3})(x+1)(x-3-\sqrt{2}i)(x-3+\sqrt{2}i)=0.$$ $$\therefore (x^2+\frac{x}{3}-\frac{2}{3})(x-3-\sqrt{2}i)(x-3+\sqrt{2}i)=0$$ $$\therefore (x^2+\frac{x}{3}-\frac{2}{3})(x^2-6x+11)=0.$$ Continuing the expansion results in the polynomial $$p(x)=\frac{1}{3}(3x^4-17x^3+25x^2+23x-22).$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...