Monday, December 19, 2016

calculus - How to tell if an integral can be integrated (has an elementary anti-derivative)?



When dealing with improper integrals I sometimes have to figure out whether or not to use the comparison test. Everything I read says something along the lines of "Also, there will be some integrals that we simply won’t be able to integrate and yet we would still like to know if they converge or diverge."



How do I actually figure out whether or not I can integrate without actually trying to integrate and failing?


Answer



In full generality this is an extremely hard problem, in fact it is impossible.



In practice, by learning lots of integration techniques and integration criteria you develop better intuition and have more tools to answer the question. Also, knowing many examples of non-integrable functions helps in quickly spotting more such functions. But, there is not general method.



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...