Thursday, December 29, 2016

algebra precalculus - Find remainder of division of $x^3$ by $x^2-x+1$




I am stuck at my exam practice here.





The remainder of the division of $x^3$ by $x^2-x+1$ is ..... and that of $x^{2007}$ by $x^2-x+1$ is .....




I tried the polynomial remainder theorem but I am not sure if I did it correctly.



By factor theorem definition, provided by Wikipedia,





the remainder of the division of a polynomial $f(x)$ by a linear polynomial $x-r$ is equal to $f(r)$.




So I attempted to find $r$ by factorizing $x^2-x+1$ first but I got the complex form $x=\frac{1\pm\sqrt{3}i}{2}=r$.



$f(r)$ is then $(\frac{1+\sqrt{3}i}{2})^3$ or $(\frac{1-\sqrt{3}i}{2})^3$ which do not sound right.



However, the answer key provided is $-1$ for the first question and also $-1$ for the second one. Please help.


Answer



Since $$x^3+1 = (x+1)(x^2-x+1)$$ so $$x^3 = (x+1)(x^2-x+1)-1$$ the answer is $-1$.




Similarly for \begin{eqnarray}x^{3n}+1 &=& (x^3+1)\underbrace{\Big((x^3)^{n-1}-(x^3)^{n-2}+...-(x^3)+1\Big)}_{q(x)}\\
&=& (x+1)(x^2-x+1)q(x)\\
\end{eqnarray}



so the answer is again $-1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...