Thursday, December 8, 2016

elementary number theory - dividing by integers




Let $m,q,r,s$ be integers.



Suppose GCD($r$,$s$) = 1.



Suppose $m|qr$ and $m|qs$.



Show that $m$ divides $q$.



This was a result that was assumed in class. I couldn't see the reasoning behind it though.. please provide some guidance/hints.







What I've tried so far:



I note that since $(r,s)=1$, then either $m$ does not divide $r$, or $m$ does not divide $s$.



I suppose that $m$ does not divide $r$.



Then I note that $m|qr$ but m does not divide $r$.




I try to come up with a contradiction by assuming that $m$ does not divide $q$, but since $m$ isn't prime, this doesn't get me far.



Am I going down the wrong path? Is there something I'm failing to consider?


Answer



Hint $\ $ By basic gcd laws $\rm\ m\:|\:qr,qs\:\Rightarrow\:m\:|\:(qr,qs)\, =\, q(r,s)\, =\, q\:$ by $\rm\:(r,s) = 1.\ \ $ QED



Or, instead of gcd laws one may use the Bezout identity: $\rm\:jr + ks = 1\:$ for some $\rm\:j,k\in\Bbb Z,\:$ hence



$$\rm\ m\:|\:qr,qs\:\Rightarrow\:m\:|\:j(qr)\!+\!k(qs) = q(jr\!+\!ks) = q\ \ \ {\bf QED}$$




Note how the proof by gcd laws eliminates the variables $\rm\,j,k,\:$ which only serve to obfuscate.



Remark $\ $ It can also be intepreted in terms of orders of elements. Namely, the hypothesis viewed modularly says $\rm\: mod\ m:\ r\cdot q\equiv 0\equiv s\cdot q,\:$ which implies that the additive order of $\rm\:q\:$ divides the coprime integers $\rm\:r,s\:$ so it must be $1,\,$ i.e. $\rm\:1\cdot q\equiv 0,\:$ i.e. $\rm\:m\:|\:q.\:$ This viewpoint is discussed further in some of my posts on order ideals.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...