Friday, September 30, 2016

trigonometry - Trigonometric identity involving double angles



If $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are acute angles and $\displaystyle{\cos2\alpha=\frac{3\cos\beta-1}{3-\cos2\beta}}$, then prove that $\displaystyle{\tan\alpha=\sqrt{2}\tan\beta}$.



I tried this question by taking the formula of $\cos2\alpha$ in terms of $\tan$ (which is of degree two) but I couldn't prove it. Please suggest some hints.


Answer



Using Weierstrass substitution in either sides.




$$\dfrac{1-\tan^2\alpha}{1+\tan^2\alpha}=\frac{3\cdot\dfrac{1-\tan^2\beta}{1+\tan^2\beta}-1}{3-\dfrac{1-\tan^2\beta}{1+\tan^2\beta}}$$



$$\implies\dfrac{1-\tan^2\alpha}{1+\tan^2\alpha}=\frac{2-4\tan^2\beta}{2+4\tan^2\beta}$$



Using Componendo and dividendo, $$\frac{\tan^2\alpha}1=\frac{4\tan^2\beta}2$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...