Friday, September 23, 2016

calculus - Deconstructing $0^0$





It is well known that $0^0$ is an indeterminate form. One way to see that is noticing that


$$\lim_{x\to0^+}\;0^x = 0\quad,$$


yet,


$$\lim_{x\to0}\;x^0 = 1\quad.$$


What if we make both terms go to $0$, that is, how much is


$$L = \lim_{x\to0^+}\;x^x\quad?$$


By taking $x\in \langle 1/k\rangle_{k\in\mathbb{N*}}\,$, I concluded that it equals $\lim_{x\to\infty}\;x^{-1/x}$, but that's not helpful.



Answer



This is, unfortunately, not very exciting. Rewrite $x^x$ as $e^{x\log x}$ and take that limit. One l'Hôpital later, you get 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...