Friday, September 16, 2016

calculus - U substitution of indefinite integrals like $int frac{5+3x}{1+x^2} dx$.

I've spent the better part of today trying to understand conceptually how to solve indefinite integrals using the "u-substitution" method.




I am able to solve relatively easy indefinite integrals using u-substituion, but when it comes to more complicated ones I struggle and never end up with the correct answer which means i do not fully understand what is going on and am simply memorizing basic procedure for solving basic indefinite integrals.



For example:



$\int \frac{5+3x}{1+x^2} dx$



I did the following:



$\frac{5}{1+x^2} + \frac{3x}{1+x^2} dx$




$u = 1+x^2$



$du = 2x dx$



$\frac{1}{2x} du = dx$



And from there I am stuck and to be honest I don't even know if my approach is correct.



I know I am asking a lot, but is there anyone that can solve this and explain why they did what they did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...