Friday, September 9, 2016

sequences and series - Summation splitting: $sum_{n=1}^{infty} frac{n}{3cdot 5cdot 7 dots (2n+1)}$


$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{n}{3\cdot 5\cdot 7 \dots (2n+1)}$$


Can someone please help me in solving this problem, I tried to take the summation of the numerator and denominator individually but my teacher said that it is wrong to do the summation individually, can somebody please explain why is it wrong to take individual summation and please recommend the correct way of solving this problem


Answer



Hint. One may observe that, for $n\ge1$, $$ \begin{align} \frac {n}{1\cdot 3\cdots (2n+1)} &=\color{red}{\frac12} \cdot \frac {(2n+1)-1}{1\cdot 3\cdots (2n+1)} \\\\&=\color{red}{\frac12} \cdot \frac {1}{1\cdot 3\cdots (2n-1)}-\color{red}{\frac12} \cdot \frac {1}{1\cdot 3\cdots (2n+1)}, \end{align} $$ then, by telescoping terms, one obtains




$$ \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac {n}{1\cdot 3\cdots (2n+1)}=\color{red}{\frac12}. $$



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...