Thursday, September 15, 2016

calculus - Why is $sin^{-1}(sin(frac{5pi}{8}))ne frac{5pi}{8}$?


I am defining a function and making sure that it works. I thought $\sin^{-1}(\sin(x))=x$ but if I put it into a calculator I get $\sin^{-1}(\sin(\frac{5\pi}{8}))\approx1.178$; which is not $\frac{5\pi}{8}\approx1.96$.


What is the reason for this?


Answer



If you translate the statement what is $\sin^{-1}(\sin(\frac{5\pi}{8}))$ into a statement in English it would say the following:


What angle between $-\frac{\pi}{2}$ and $\frac{\pi}{2}$ has the same sine value as the angle $\frac{5\pi}{8}$?



If you draw the unit circle and the angle $\frac{5\pi}{8}$ and then draw a horizontal line through the point where the angle intersects the unit circle, I believe you will see that the horizontal line also intersects the unit circle in quadrant I at the point of intersection with the angle $\frac{3\pi}{8}$. So the answer is $\frac{3\pi}{8}$.


unit circle diagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...