Thursday, March 3, 2016

combinatorics - Combinatorial proof for $sum_{k = 0}^n binom {r+k} k = binom {r + n + 1} n$




I'm trying to figure out a combinatorial proof for:



$$\displaystyle \sum_{k \mathop = 0}^n \binom {r+k} k = \binom {r + n + 1} n$$



I've tried the committee counting thing, but that didn't work.


Answer



A combinatorial proof is by counting bit strings of length $r+n+1$ with exactly $n$ ones. There are $\binom{r+n+1}{n}$ such strings.



Such strings have $r+1$ zeros. Now count all bit strings of length $r+n+1$ with exactly $r+1$ zeros in which the last $0$ is at $(r+k+1)$-st position. Here $k \in \{0,1,\ldots,n\}$. There are exactly $\binom{r+k}{r} = \binom{r+k}{k}$ such strings. Since all possible positions for the last zero are $r+1, \ldots, r+n+1$, and since the sets of bit strings with the last zero at different positions are disjoint, this proves the given identity.



No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...