Saturday, March 12, 2016

geometry - Why are two completely independent variables still linked through the Pythagorean theorem?

If I have two axes A (apples) and B (bananas), and I plot the point
where I have 3 apples and 4 bananas, then I would say I have 7 pieces
of fruit. However, Pythagoras would say I have 5 pieces of fruit

sqrt(3^2+4^2). Who is right, me or Pythagoras? :)



I came up with the axes of apples and bananas, because I don't
understand why two completely independent variables still have
something to do with each other through the pythagorean theorem.



The question came up as I was thinking about complex numbers. I
understand that the operation of "multiplying by i" is the same as
rotating 90 degrees anticlockwise. But I still don't understand what
happens with my apples if I multiply 3 apples by i. Do my apples

suddenly become bananas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...