Friday, March 25, 2016

algebra precalculus - Writing the complex number $z = 1 - sin{alpha} + icos{alpha}$ in trigonometric form

Now I can't finish this problem:



Express the complex number $z = 1 - \sin{\alpha} + i\cos{\alpha}$ in trigonometric form, where $0 < \alpha < \frac{\pi}{2}$.



So the goal is to determine both $r$ and $\theta$ for the expression: $z = r(\cos{\theta} + i\sin{\theta})$



I've done this so far:





  1. First of all I obtained $r = \sqrt{(1-\sin{\alpha})^2 + \cos^2{\alpha}} = \sqrt{1 + 2 \sin{\alpha} + \sin^2{\alpha} + \cos^2{\alpha}} = \sqrt{2(1 - \sin{\alpha})}$ (possible thanks to the condition over $\alpha$).


  2. Now I tried to get $\theta = \arctan{\left(\frac{\cos{\alpha}}{1-\sin{\alpha}}\right)}$




And here it is where I get stuck... how to determine $\theta$ with such an expression?



I already know $0 < 1-\sin{\alpha} < 1$ and $0 < \cos{\alpha} < 1$ under the given conditions.



Any help will be appreciated. Thank you :)




P.S. I think (according to my search results here) there are no questions about this problem. I hope you won't mind if it is a duplicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...