Tuesday, March 15, 2016

probability - Die roll, value of 4 must follow value of 1 to win

I came across a "die roll" probability question that has me stumped.


Two fair die are being rolled by players A and B, who alternate, with A rolling first (ie. A then B then A then B...so long as the game hasn't been won). In order to win the game, a player must roll a 4 following the previous player's 1. What's the probability that A wins the game?


The normal form of this question -- "the first player to roll a 4" -- is simple enough, but I'm having a hard time understanding how the conditional aspect changes the calculation. Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...