Saturday, March 12, 2016

trigonometry - How should I go about finding angles at which two trigonometric ratios are equal?

Let's say we have an equation, $ \sin x = \cos x $. We know that between $ 0^o \text{and} \ 90^o $, $ \sin $ and $ \cos $ are equal for $ x = 45^o $. This is something we can easily figure because we memorize the trig ratios for angles between 0 and 90. How should I go about finding other angles for which an equality between two ratios hold?



I found by trial and error that this equation is true for $ x = 225^o $-- but I'd like to if there is a method to do it without trial and error and for all other trigonometric ratios as well (for example, say, $ \tan x = \cot x $).

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...