Saturday, March 26, 2016

algebra precalculus - Multiplying by Inverse of a Fraction question



Hey so I'm doing an exercise and I got a bit confused by something.



I've learned early on that you can multiply the inverse of a fraction and would get the same result as you would if you divided, since you do the exact opposite.




Then why doesn't this hold true for:



$$\frac{10z^{1/3}} {2z^{2}}{^{}{}} = {10z^{1/3}} * {2z^{-2}}$$



Please explain in simple words.. not too math savvy ^^


Answer



The reason is that you forgot to use the inverse of $2$ as well. So it should be
$$10z^{1/3}\cdot 2^{-1}z^{-2}$$
That's because in the original expression, you are dividing by $2$ and also by $z^2$.




In other words, $(2z^2)^{-1}$ can be written as $2^{-1}z^{-2}$, but not as $2z^{-2}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...