Saturday, March 12, 2016

calculus - Laplace Transform



Question: Use Laplace Transform to solve the following differential equation




$\ y''+y =sin(t); y(0)=1, y'(0)=-1 $



My try,where F(s) is the transform of f(t)=y(t)



$F(s)= \frac{1}{(s^2+1)^2} + \frac{s}{s^2+1} -\frac{1}{s^2+1} $



Then,using convolution for Laplace Transform in the first fraction and applying the transform in others



$y(t)= \int_0^t \sin(t-u)\sin(u)du + \cos t - \sin t $




My problem is here,because I'm reaching to a result that is different from the answer. My approach was



$$ \int_0^t \sin(t-u)\sin(u)du = \int_0^t (\sin(t)\cos(u)-\sin(u)\cos(t))\sin(u)du =$$



$$= \sin(t)\int_0^t\sin(u)\cos(u)du - \int_0^t\sin^2(u)\cos(t)du
=\frac{\sin^3(t)}{2}-\frac{\cos(t)}{2}\left(t-\frac{\sin(2t)}{2}\right) $$



And there is some problem in that resolution that I can't found. Someone can help please?




The answer is:



$ y(t)=\cos(t)-\frac{1}{2}\sin(t)-\frac{1}{2}t\cos(t) $


Answer



I really have no idea what you did there and why did you go for convolutions as the initial conditions are for zero and it is straightforward then, but the following is what I did:



Putting $\;\mathcal L\{y(t)\}(s)=Y(s)\;$ and applying the transform to the equation with the conditions, we get:



$$s^2Y(s)-s+1+Y(s)=\frac1{s^2+1}\implies (s^2+1)Y(S)=\frac1{s^2+1}+s-1\implies$$




$$Y(s)=\frac1{(s^2+1)^2}+\frac s{s^2+1}-\frac1{s^2+1}=\frac12\frac{2\cdot1^3}{(s^2+1)^2}+\frac s{s^2+1}-\frac1{s^2+1}\implies$$



$$y(t)=\frac12\left(\sin t-t\cos t\right)+\cos t-\sin t=\cos t-\frac12\sin t-\frac12t\cos t$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...