Tuesday, January 29, 2019

elementary number theory - Reducing products in modular arithmetic

During an effort to show that $2^{20} \equiv 1 \mod{41}$, I have done the following:


$2^{20} = \left(2^5\right)^4 = 32^4$


Since $32 \equiv -9 \mod{41}$, we get $32^4 \equiv (-9)^4 = 81\cdot81 \mod 41$


From here, I know that I can reduce the 81s, such that I get $2^{20} \equiv (-1)(-1) \mod 41$, so I can solve the problem, but I can't connect this reduction to a particular rule of modular arithmetic.


Question


From $2^{20} \equiv 81 \cdot 81 \mod 41$, which rule is it that states that the $81$s can be reduced to their individual congruences, modulo $41$? In other words, why may I reduce them to $(-1)(-1)$?



I'm familiar with some of the rules, like the basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/power ones, but if it's one of these, I don't quite see the connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...