Monday, January 14, 2019

calculus - Are all continuous one one functions differentiable?



I was reading about one one functions and found out that they cannot have maxima or minima except at endpoints of domain. So their derivative , if it exists, must not change it sign , i.e. , the function should be either strictly increasing or strictly decreasing. From this I've a feeling that all continuous one one functions must be differentiable . Is this true?


Answer



Not by a long shot. Take, for example, the function



$$f(x) = \begin{cases}x & x\leq 0\\ 2x & x\geq 0\end{cases}$$



Which is continuous and one-to-one on $\mathbb R$, but is not differentiable at $0$.




This is of course just one example, but in general, any time you "stick" two functions together at a point where their derivatives are not equal, like in my example, you can cause the resulting function to have a point at which it is not differentiable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...