Friday, January 11, 2019

calculus - How to show that If $f(x+y)=f(x)f(y)$ then $f(x)geq 0$





I would appreciate if somebody could help me with the following problem:



Q: Suppose $f: \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ is a continuous function and $f(x+y)=f(x)f(y)$. Then $f(x)\geq 0$


Answer



If $f$ vanishes at one point then it vanishes everywhere. So one solution is $f(x) = 0$ for all $x$. Otherwise $f$ must be non-zero everywhere. Now it is easy to see that if $f(x) < 0$ then $f(2x) = f(x)f(x) > 0$ and hence $f$ changes sign and vanishes somewhere by IVT. Hence we must have $f(x) > 0$ for all $x$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...