Tuesday, March 1, 2016

real analysis - Compute: $sum_{k=1}^{infty}sum_{n=1}^{infty} frac{1}{k^2n+2nk+n^2k}$



I try to solve the following sum:


$$\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2n+2nk+n^2k}$$


I'm very curious about the possible approaching ways that lead us to solve it. I'm not experienced with these sums, and any hint, suggestion is very welcome. Thanks.


Answer



I think one way of approaching this sum would be to use the partial fraction $$ \frac{1}{k^2n+2nk+n^2k} = \frac{1}{kn(k+n+2)} = \frac{1}{2}\Big(\frac{1}{k} + \frac{1}{n}\Big)\Big(\frac{1}{k+n} - \frac{1}{n+k+2}\Big)$$ to rewrite you sum in the form $$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2n+n^2k+2kn} = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \Big( \frac{1}{n(k+n)} - \frac{1}{n(k+n+2)} + \frac{1}{k(k+n)} - \frac{1}{k(k+n+2)}\Big)$$ Since the sum on the right will telescope in one of the summation variables it should be straightforward to find the answer from here (it ends up being $7/4$ I think).


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...