Wednesday, November 20, 2019

real analysis - Simple proof that this sequence converges [verification]



This is a relatively simple problem. I'm just making sure I have the right idea here. I'd like to prove that the sequence $\displaystyle a_n = 1 + \frac{1}{n^{1/3}}$ converges. My proof is:




We conjecture that $a_n$ converges to 1. Thus, we must show that, for all $\epsilon \in \mathbb{R}$, there exists an $N(\epsilon) \in \mathbb{N}$ such that $|a_n - 1| < \epsilon$ for all $n > N(\epsilon)$.



From that inequality, I do some algebra and find that: $~~\displaystyle n > \frac{1}{\epsilon^3}$, so, if we choose $\displaystyle N(\epsilon) > \frac{1}{\epsilon^3}$, we've shown that the sequence converges to 1.



Is this correct?


Answer



Just so this won't go unanswered:
Yes, you're correct. If $n>1/\epsilon^{3}$ then $n^{-1/3}<\epsilon$, for all $\epsilon>0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...