Friday, November 8, 2019

algebra precalculus - Significance of transforming the left side into the right?



I have a math problem that asks:




Use trig identities to transform the left side of the equation into the right side: $\cos\theta \sec\theta = 1$





I'm having trouble with this concept since my teacher doesn't explain well what value this operation would have. I can get to the answer but I don't understand the steps and why I'm doing it. What's the significance?


Answer



In general, trigonometric identities are interesting for their own sake. In this case, it is a simple matter of applying definitions. We have $\cos\theta\sec\theta=\cos\theta\frac{1}{\cos\theta}=1$. We are trying to show that the two sides are equal and one way is to work from left to right.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...