Monday, October 21, 2019

Summation and Arithmetic progression problem




This is the question which I am referring to




If $S_n=an^2 + bn $ , verify that the series $\sum {t_{n}}$ is arithmetic where $ S_n=\sum_{n=1}^{n}{t_n} $




My try:





  • first of all I used below equation to calculate ${t_n}$



${t_n} = S_n - S_{n-1} = a (2n-1)-b$




  • Then I calculated common difference by below equation



    $d=t_n-t_{n-1}$


  • Then I calculated $t_1$ by putting $n=1$.


  • Then I calculated $s_n$ by AP formula and it came out to be
    $s_n= an^2-bn$ but for $\sum {t_{n}}$ to be arithmetic $S_n=s_n$



Please mention where am I wrong


Answer



$t_n=a\{n^2-(n-1)^2\}+b\{n-(n-1)\}=2na-a+b$



$$t_n-t_{n-1}=2na-a+b-\{2(n-1)a-a+b\}=2a$$ which being independent of $n$ is constant


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...