Sunday, February 11, 2018

self learning - How is this limit calculated without l'Hospital?




In this question: Solving limit without L'Hôpital



The answer is as follows:



$$\lim_{x\to0} \frac{5-\sqrt{x+25}}{x}=\lim_{x\to0} \frac{(5-\sqrt{x+25)}(5+\sqrt{x+25})}{x(5+\sqrt{x+25})}=\lim_{x\to0} \frac{25-(x+25)}{x(5+\sqrt{x+25})}=-\frac{1}{10}$$



Expanding the fraction makes sense, but I dont understand how we get $ -\frac{1}{10}$ as a result. Because when you put in 0 for x ( which I intuitively did) I get $\frac{0}{0}$ as a result, which doesnt get me anywhere withou l'Hospital.



What step did I miss ?



Answer



$$\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{25-(x+25)}{x(5+\sqrt{x+25})}=\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{-x}{x(5+\sqrt{x+25})}=\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{-1}{5+\sqrt{x+25}}$$
Note that after the second step we cancel out the $x$ in the numerator and denominator, and are left with an expression with which we can evaluate at $x=0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...