Monday, February 12, 2018

calculus - Is there an example of using L'Hospital's Rule on a product where it doesn't work?

I was reading that, when trying to solve something like:




$$\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)g(x)$$



I can rewrite is as:



$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{f(x)}{\frac{1}{g(x)}}$$



and use L'Hospital's Rule to solve. And, if this doesn't work, I can try using the other function as the denominator:



$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{g(x)}{\frac{1}{f(x)}}$$




So I wondered: are there well-known quotients of functions that don't work in either case and, if so, how do I then solve them?



An example that doesn't submit to this process is:



$$\lim_{x\to\infty} x.x$$



But obviously L'Hospital's Rule would not be necessary in this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...