Friday, February 2, 2018

exponentiation - Negative exponents


By a coincidence I have found that $10^{-6,7} \approx 10^{-7} \times 2 $. This just seems extremely random to me, why is this so? First I thought it might have to do with the fact that $6,7 \approx 10\times \dfrac{2}{3}$ but I don't know if that is it


Answer




What you have found is that $10^{.7}$ is very close to $5$; to put it another way, $\log_{10}5$ is close to $.7$; yet another equivalent statment is that $\log_{10}2$ is very close to $.3$, and yet another place this crops up is in the closeness of $2^{10}=1024$ to $10^3=1000$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...