Sunday, February 18, 2018

matrices - Linear Algebra - Prove $AB=BA$



Let $A$ and $B$ be any $n \times n$ defined over the real numbers.



Assume that $A^2+AB+2I=0$.




  • Prove $AB=BA$




My solution (Not full)



I didn't managed to get so far.



$A(A+B)=-2I$



$-\frac{1}{2}(A(A+B)=I$



Therefore $A$ reversible and $A+B$ reversible.




I don't know how to get on from this point, What could I conclude about $A^2+AB+2I=0?$



Any ideas? Thanks.


Answer



From
$$
A(A+B)=A^2+AB=-2I
$$
we have that
$$

A^{-1}=-\frac12(A+B)
$$
then multiplying by $-2A$ on the right and adding $2I$ gives
$$
A^2+BA+2I=0=A^2+AB+2I
$$
Cancelling common terms yields
$$
BA=AB
$$







Another Approach



Using this answer (involving more work than the previous answer), which says that
$$
AB=I\implies BA=I
$$
we get

$$
-\frac12A(A+B)=I\implies-\frac12(A+B)A=I
$$
Cancelling common terms gives $AB=BA$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...