Saturday, December 2, 2017

real analysis - Show if $f$ is differentiable at $x_0$


Let $f$ be defined on a neighborhood of $x_0$. Show $f$ is differentiable at $x_0$ if and only if the discontinuity of


$$ h(x) = \frac{f(x) - f(x_0)}{x-x_0}$$


at $x_0$ is removable.



I'm having trouble figuring out how to start on this prove. Can anyone help ?


Answer



1) $f$ is differentiable, so the limit $\lim_{x\to x_0} h(x)$ exists, thus the discontinuity at $x_0$ of $h$ is removable. 2) $x_0$ is a removable singularity of $h$, so the limit $\lim_{x\to x_0} h(x)$ exists and thus $f$ is differentiable at $x_0$


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...