Wednesday, December 27, 2017

linear algebra - Is this circular reasoning, when trying to prove that similar matrices have the same eigenvalues and characteristic polynomial?



I am trying to prove that similar nxn matrices A and B share the same eigenvalues and characteristic polynomial.



I am not sure how to start, but I am tempted to start with something like



$$tr(A) = tr(B)$$




and



$$det(A) = det(B)$$



since we know that the matrices are similar.



But, this approach sort of seems to be using what I am trying to prove.



Is this a valid approach? Or, should I head in another direction instead?




Thanks,


Answer



If $A$ is similar to $B$ then there exists invertible $P$ such that $A=P^{-1}BP$.



We can rewrite this as $PA=BP$.



Suppose $\lambda$ is an eigenvalue of $A$ with eignevector $v$. Then $$PAv=P(\lambda v)=\lambda Pv=BPv$$



$\therefore\lambda$ is an eigenvalue of $B$ with eigenvector $Pv$.




Switching the roles of $A$ and $B$ gives you that an eigenvalue of $B$ is an eigenvalue of $A$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...