Friday, December 8, 2017

sequences and series - Evaluating $limlimits_{ntoinfty} dfrac{1}{n^3}sumlimits_{ell=1}^{n-1}sqrt{(n^2-ell^2)(n^2-(ell-1)^2)}$



Along the way to proving a solution for this stubborn question of mine, I've come upon this expression which I would like to evaluate:
$$
\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{1}{n^3}\sum_{\ell=1}^{n-1}\sqrt{(n^2-\ell^2)(n^2-(\ell-1)^2)}
$$
Assuming consistency+correctness of the rest of my work, I would love for it to turn out that the limit is $\frac{2}{3}$, but to be honest I'm not certain of how to continue. I see no reason for there to be a nice closed form for the sum (and W|A appear to agree).


Answer




For every $1\leqslant\ell\leqslant n-1$,
$$
n^2-\ell^2\leqslant\sqrt{(n^2-\ell^2)(n^2-(\ell-1)^2)}\leqslant n^2-(\ell-1)^2,
$$
hence the sums $S_n$ you are interested in are such that $R_n\leqslant S_n\leqslant T_n$ for every $n\geqslant1$, with
$$
R_n=\frac1{n^3}\sum_{\ell=1}^{n-1}(n^2-\ell^2),\qquad T_n=\frac1{n^3}\sum_{\ell=0}^{n-2}(n^2-\ell^2).
$$
The rest should be easy (and the limit is indeed $\frac23$).


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...