Wednesday, November 2, 2016

discrete mathematics - Proving a summation inequality with induction



The exact question:




Prove:



$\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\gt2(\sqrt{n+1}-1)$



I have looked at similar problems but still don't understand how to prove this inequality by induction. So far I have this:



Induction basis:



Let n=1




$\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1}} = 1 > 2(\sqrt{1+1}-1) = ~.828$



$1>.828$



So it proves the inequality true when n=1.



Now i really don't know how to continue even with all the examples i have browsed through. One of them i came across showed that the induction hypothesis should let P(n) equal the equation above and do something with P(n+1). I am not looking for the answer I just need help on how to continue with the problem. What other steps are necessary for me to complete this proof by induction.


Answer



Inductive steps:

Assume the inequality is true for $n=N$.



so $\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^N \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}\gt2(\sqrt{N+1}-1)$



Now if $n=N+1$,



$\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{N+1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}} =\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^N \frac{1}{\sqrt{k}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{N+1}} >2(\sqrt{N+1}-1) + \frac{1}{\sqrt{N+1}} $



... (I left the part here for you to figure out)




$>2(\sqrt{N+2}-1)$



Hint: you want to prove that $\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} \geq 2(\sqrt{N+2}-\sqrt{N+1})$ by multiplying by the conjugate term


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...