Thursday, November 10, 2016

statistics - Change of Variables in Second Moment


$X$ is a non-negative continuous random variable with pdf $f(x)$. $G(t) = \int_{t}^\infty f(x) dx$. Show that $$E[X^2] = 2 \int_{0}^\infty tG(t) dt$$.


I tried to write out E[X^2] (second moment of X) and see if that corresponds to the G(t) equation. I wasn't able to do that well because I wasn't sure of how the change of variables works.


Answer



I'm assuming $E[X^2] < \infty$. Integration by parts gives


$$2\int_0^b t\, G(t)\, dt = b^2 G(b) - \int_0^b t^2 G'(t)\, dt = b^2 G(b) + \int_0^b t^2 f(t)\, dt.$$


Taking the limit as $b \to \infty$ results in


$$2\int_0^\infty t G(t)\, dt = \int_0^\infty t^2 f(t)\, dt = E[X^2].$$


To see that $\lim\limits_{b\to \infty} b^2 G(b) = 0$, note that for $b > 0$,


$$E[X^2] = \int_0^b x^2 f(x)\, dx + \int_b^\infty x^2 f(x)\, dx \ge \int_0^b x^2 f(x)\, dx + b^2 G(b).$$



So


$$0 \le b^2 G(b) \le E[X^2] - \int_0^b x^2 f(x)\, dx.$$


The right-hand side tends to $0$ as $b\to \infty$, so $\lim\limits_{b\to \infty} b^2 G(b) = 0$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

analysis - Injection, making bijection

I have injection $f \colon A \rightarrow B$ and I want to get bijection. Can I just resting codomain to $f(A)$? I know that every function i...